Monday, January 23

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Graded: A-
Book #1 in the Divergent series.

Let me preface this by saying first that I'm not a huge fan of the young-Adult sub-genre overall. Before my Goodreads friend recommended this book, I'd not heard much about it, and I'd found the cover off-putting - the similarity between the symbol of this book, and the symbol on the only other YA dystopian novel I've read and loved, to be too much like jumping on The Hunger Games marketing bandwagon. No offence.
BUT you know what?
I freaking loved this book!

I have lost myself in this story, in this character and to a certain extent, in this world. This was a thoroughly readable, fun, engaging story. I cheered for Tris and her fellow initiates through their challenges. I grinned a goofy grin as Four's character and relationship developed. I gasped at the consequences of butter knives, guns, chasms and simulations. The writing and dialogue are good and the pace was un-put-downable (is so a word!) Yes, you can definitely make some unflattering comparisons between this and THG, but for all the similarities, it was the differences I found engrossing.

My only complaint? That the next one isn't already available already so I can read further.

No comments:

Post a Comment