Friday, December 14

Review: How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long

Title: How the Marquess Was Won
Author: Julie Anne Long
Graded: A+

This story was my first by this author and I am absolutely charmed! The dialogue between the H/h simply sizzles and burns. It seduces the reader with witty banter, tongue-in-cheek innuendo and soul-baring emotion, set in a time when language was used as a weapon as well as cloak.

I haven't been in the mood for a historical for a little while now, but this book has rekindled my interest in them by celebrating everything I love about the good ones... the way language is used with such meaning, and so many meanings. The way strong women were forged in the fires of social limitations, expectations and hypocrisies. The way the fashion is described in tactile detail and the nuances of good breeding. Plus I've always enjoyed the contrast in the historical heroine's lady-in-the-ballroom, harlot-in-the-bedroom characterisation. ;-)

Another thing I appreciated about this book is that the only time I felt that I didn't have the whole story were the snippets regarding Olivia and Lyonn. Otherwise, all the characters were explained well and I'm not suffering from any spoilers due to this being a #6 in the series and me having just jumped in. I'm usually loathe to read books out of order, but this has been very well done as an almost stand-alone.

Quite simply: fanbloodytastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment